Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 3

Tonight (Friday) we are watching How to Train Your Dragon. It's a much needed break after such a rough week here. I could use up the entire allotted blog space to complain about how terrible this week was, how I've had a headache since Tuesday night, and so on, but I really just want to remember the positives and the things I learned from this week/improvements that need to be made, so here goes (it's 10:17 right now, I'll let you know what time it is when I'm done because this might take awhile...)

Positive #1: During Duck, Duck, Goose on Monday, Isaac, this little blonde- haired, blue- eyed 5- year- old whom I adore sooooo much randomly blurted, "I love you!" Made for a swell Monday afternoon.

Positive #2: A one Brian Wybrecht whom I also adore sooooooooo much sent me a letter on Monday!

Positive #3: Amanda May Moore sent me a card on Monday!

Positive #4: I spent an hour or so singing hymns and Christmas songs while Phyllis, a local nursing home patient, played the piano. Phyllis is from Ubly, Michigan but played piano in New York and has paintings in a museum in North Carolina. Her family doesn't visit her that often and she doesn't really like to talk about them.

Positive #5: I realized my accent is all janked up now and I enjoy it. 

Lesson #1: Praying for Club as a group is ALWAYS a good idea- especially when your attitude towards the participants stinks.

Lesson #2: When you're dealing with a younger crowd, make everything a competition- especially when vacuuming a large room or sorting clothes at Goodwill.

Lesson #3: Drink plenty of water all day- otherwise you have a headache all week.

Improvement #1: Incorporate staff stories into Club so that the participants can better relate to all of you.

Improvement #2: Monitor portion sizes because younger participants don't understand that one scoop means one scoop, not one and a half or two.

Improvement #3: Do inventory Thursday afternoon- it makes Friday mornings so much easier.

It's 10:56 and I can't come up with anything else. This week was very discouraging, but I realized that it is the small things that just might get me through this summer- like precious 5 year olds and talented 90 somethings and letters from great friends. However, I also realized that I am here not only to serve the community I've grown to love, but I am also here to serve the participants who come. Please continue to pray for rest this weekend, team unity, positive attitudes and joy from the Holy Spirit. We need a lot of prayer especially after this week.

Love ya'll!

1 comment:

  1. Love you!!! Miss you!!! Do you need a care package???

    ReplyDelete