Friday, July 29, 2011

Oh my gosh- ONE MORE WEEK LEFFFFFT. This is crazy. All sorts of emotions happening. For one, I am very ready to go home and see everyone back home, sleep in my own bed, eat something other than pasta and tacos and pizza, sleeeeeeeep as long as I want to... you know that kind of stuff. But at the same time, I've really grown to love this place- I love love love a handful of kids at Kid's Club, I love love love the community members I've met and I really enjoy the small town feel here. Next week is going to be weird.

Highlights from this week:
- Last Saturday, Brooke and I took a church member up on his offer to take us all fishing. Daniel and Erik were too lame to come or something, so it was just the two of us. It was most fantastic- Dale showed us around the ginormous Douglas Lake and all the giant houses built along it. They were beautiful! Then the four of us went to see Captain America in Morristown- it was a really great movie. Probs the best superhero movie thus far.

- Sunday, we found out we had more high schoolers than middle schoolers. This may not seem like a big deal, but difference between the maturity level and willingness to serve of the two is huge.

- Monday, I was able to go out to Camp Eagle Point- the ministry our friend Hal runs. It was really great to talk with him and his co-worker, Marcie just about how the summer's winding down. Also Monday, we had to cancel our evening hike due to thunderstorms, so we played Minute- to- Win- It games. It turned out pretty decent- with more planning it woulda been better, but the youth enjoyed it.

-I also received a package of goodies from Terri Clark, my mom's cousin!

- At 4 o'clock Wednesday morning, I woke up to use the restroom and a participant had just thrown up. Turns out 5 youth had thrown up during the night and 5 more were feeling queezy that Wednesday morning. They ended up sort of quarantined for the day so they could recover and the rest of us bleached and Lysoled every room we used and every surface we touched. The church seriously smelled like a Lysol bomb went off or something. We ended up canceling work projects and Kid's Club so as not to spread the virus and took the healthy youth to the park for some fresh air. The rest of the afternoon until dinner, we just hung out and watched movies. It really was a fantastic break from the monotony of the typical YW Tuesdays. I took a nap and it wasn't a big deal! After dinner we proceeded with the normal activities, but all of us staff moved out of the church to the house to avoid getting sick. Unfortunately, Brooke and I did end up with some stomach cramps and headaches.

- Thursday we went back to our normal schedule, but there were still 10 or so who stayed back at the church (some who were sick Wednesday and some who were new to the virus). Brooke and I were still feeling pretty rotten Thursday, but we made it through the day.

- The best part about the whole week was that EVERYONE had a fantastic attitude. I decided this week that it the week depends heavily on the attitude of adult leaders. The leaders this week were fan-freakin-tastic and were joyful and wonderful. They were incredibly encouraging to us and totally vision punched their youth about ministry and service. Therefore the youth were wonderful as well. They understood that they were here to serve the community and that was such a relief for us.

- Tonight Brooke and I invited 5 of the older girls from Kid's Club over to the church for a sleep over. Right now they're watching I am Number Four and later, hopefully, they'll sleep. haha. Should be a good time either way.

That's it. This week was way out of the norm, but it was a wonderful week. Keep praying for us- we have ONE MORE WEEK! and then we pack everything up, head to Birmingham for a few days and then go home! Huzzah!

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment