Friday, July 22, 2011

Week 7

Highlights:
- I stayed at Kid's Club all week to help Brooke out. It went really well because while Brooke was giving the adult leaders the run down of the day, I was able to help the youth plan their activities for KC. KC was a lot more organized and the first three days went really well (relatively. I mean KC will always be a lot chaotic; it just seemed to be organized chaos this time.)

Unfortunately, Thursday was rough- as it always goes. We have water day every Thursday and it just is never planned well and the kids are used to it being a free day so they tend to be nuts. In the first half hour I took a kid home because he was constantly disrespecting the facility after multiple warnings to stop.

Then, as I was in the kitchen chopping up watermelon with one of the older girls (she's Julia's age), a youth came in to tell me Brooke was looking for me. I found her in the storage room with Quinton, whose 6 and who had a huge gash in his foot because the door scraped it. She needed help cleaning it up. So I left her to find some peroxide and gauze and tell Laura, the girl in the kitchen to clean up the watermelon. As I was headed toward the kitchen, another youth came up to me to tell me that Jonny, another KC kid unpinned the fire extinguisher in the stairwell and sprayed it all over. All that happened in a matter of 2 minutes. Good grief. You can't do much when that happens but laugh.

- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I felt much more energetic and open to the youth and adult leaders than last week. In fact, I had a lot of conversations with both. At the end of the week, though, I was told that people still noticed that I was tired. I'm royally frustrated by the comment because I really thought I was energetic. Perhaps I shouldn't be honest when adult leaders ask if I'm tired or if the summer wears me out. Or maybe I should just fake smile all the time because my neutral face must look tired, or maybe I should always be active because the moment I sit down I put on my neutral face and I stare off into space, or maybe I should just go home. [insert grumpy frown face].

Earlier today we went out to eat with Edwin, our main contact at the church and I got to hang out at the end of the table with his 3 adorable kids. They were hilarious and kept me quite entertained. Although Lucy, the 5 year old, said "Guess what?" to me and I responded with "Chicken butt" and I think I started something bad. I don't think they're allowed to say stuff like that. oops. Now we're at Hal's farm hanging out and vegging for the evening. We're all tired and pretty whipped today. Hal's is the perfect place for internet, big screen TV and some TLC. Tomorrow we're probs going fishing with a church member and then just hanging out for the rest of the day. We need a break.

That's it. Honestly, I'm ready to come home. I may or may not even be more excited about starting school again than finishing this summer. No, maybe not. But I do want to see everyone back home real bad. Please keep praying for us this summer. One of us in particular has an attitude that's bringing us all down. Plus pray that Kid's Club continues to improve, or just that we'll even have hair left at the end of the summer. And definitely pray that the next two weeks of youth coming in will have open minds and servant hearts and that the adult leaders have the same. Thanks!

~Sarah

LABC
Attn: Sarah Scott
234 Lincoln Ave
Newport, TN 37821

No comments:

Post a Comment